Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Pyrcroft Grange and Blean School - again...

It was a very early start for me on the morning of Monday the 16th October. I was to drive from Somerset up to Pyrcroft Grange School in Chertsey in Surrey. I arrived about half an hour early, but passed the time reading the Times and drinking some Diet Coke! I hadn't been to Pyrcroft Grange for nearly two years, but it was nice to be back again. I was welcomed warmly as ever and set up my stuff in a side room - we wouldn't have full access to the hall until the afternoon session, but that was fine. Pyrcroft is a fine school, with a lot of integration between disabled, autistic and, for want of a better word, full able bodied children. This always makes it quite a special day - and it always makes for some left field questions and answers - as evidenced again today! After explaining all about Henry's eating and culinary habits, I was asked by one boy if it was true Henry ate Elephants. I explained that this was not the case. Another boy then asked whether Elephants were made of meat. I told him that all Elephants were actually made of re-formed saw dust. I then had to explain to him that I was joking. For those of you wondering, they are of course made from railway sleepers and bacofoil. The afternoon whizzed by and a fine jousting session was JUST won by the boys for a nice change. Lots of friendly goodbyes at the end and then I was on my way - but not back to Somerset...
From Chertsey I got back on the dear old M25 and headed for my sister's house in Kent. It was a relatively easy journey and I was soon with her supping a cup of tea. Her husband Julian came home from work with a very welcoming bottle of wine and a take-away curry - very nice! We sat and watched the film "The Village" which was nicely creepy, but predictable. Next morning I was up bright and early and off to one of my favourite schools that I visit every year - Blean Primary near Canterbury! This is just a fabulous school - always have wonderful kids, friendly teachers, the nicest caretaker you ever want to meet and easy to find - it doesn't get much better than that for a Henry VIII person! We had another lovely day, lots of laughs and fun, and getting everything back to how it normally is - the girls won the jousting! It was back to my sister's near Sittingbourne for a cup of tea and some guitar strumming before heading off to Essex to stay the night with my parents near Brentwood.
Today has been more or less a day off. Some bank work and paper work but nothing else. My father and mother treated me to lunch at The Mason's Arms restaurant in the Ingrave Road in Brentwood which was FANTASTIC, and then an evening at leisure! Tomorrow morning I am at Monkwick Junior School in Colchester and then heading back to sunny Somerset for a Ghost Story evening at Barrington Court! Lovely.
Ah! I hear the sound of a cork being pulled from a bottle! How that tune haunts me...

No comments: