Thursday, February 07, 2008

Richmond Avenue Primary School, Shoeburyness

Back to jolly old Essex again! I drove up to my parent's house in Mountnessing on Ash Wednesday and spent a nice evening sitting with my Father and watching Fabio Cappello's first game in charge of the England Football Team. My, how little seemed to have changed!
The following morning though, I was up with the lark and off down to Shoeburyness near Southend-on-Sea for a visit to Richmond Avenue Primary School. I couldn't even remember when I last visited Shoeburyness - must be over 20 years. Whenever I think of Shoeburyness it brings to mind Billy Bragg's immortal song "A13 - Trunk Road to the Sea" with the opening lines "If you should ever go to Shoeburyness..." Anyway, I managed to find the school OK and was warmly welcomed by the staff who were all just wonderful. I set up in a charming little hall and waited for the children to arrive. I had been told they were a lively bunch - and they most certainly were! We had a great morning. They certainly knew their Tudor stuff and took great delight in showing off the knowledge they had already picked up. We had lots of laughs and a good time was seemed to be had by all. We finished the morning session with a question and answer session in a packed class room.
The afternoon was equally fun, with lots of laughs had with the stocks routine. The final jousting session was hilarious. One ladies team thought they had won with only two of their riders home and just stopped! By the time I had realised what they were doing the other team had managed to rush home and win! The ladies eventually went on to win a thrilling and very close grand final. I can honestly say this was one of the nicest schools I have visited in a long time and I really hope they will consider having me back again next year. Thank you all for a wonderful day.

1 comment:

Amanda Gray said...

Hi Mike
I'm very embarassed that I have only just read your wonderful praise of our school. The day you spent with us was absolutely amazing, the children got so much from it and my new year 4's are asking if you will be coming to see them this year. Strangely enough I heard one of our TA's telling a new teacher, just today, how you 'were' Henry VIII - straight out of a history book. We will definitely be booking you again and I am just trying to arrange when
Thank you once again for such an inspiring day.
Amanda Gray