Saturday, May 16, 2009

Exit Smiling and Big Nose Bill!



Just a quickie this posting!  Last night (Friday) I had a splendid evening in Bridport.  I went down to visit my dear old friends Jill and Mark Beed, and after a splendid Cod and Celery free dinner we wandered down to Bridport Town Hall to see a really wonderful new band in concert.  From Burton Bradstock on the coast in deepest darkest Dorset they are called Exit Smiling and are really worth tracking down.  Mostly a quartet, though other peripheral players come and go during a show, they comprise of two older gents (I am sure they won't mind me referring to them in such a way) and two young ladies.  Each and every one of them is blessed with natural musical skill but the young cello player (who also showed amazing skills on keyboards, vocals and even bass) was a real wow.  A wonderful evening of stunning English folk music.  My joy was completed when one of their biggest fans turned up - namely Mr Billy Bragg - aka Big Nosed Bill from Barking.  He joined Exit Smiling on stage for a couple of their numbers and then after the show had finished, I managed to grab a quick conversation with the man himself and he was delightful.  A great evening all round.  To check out Exit Smiling please go to their website at http://www.exitsmiling.org.uk/ and tell them I sent you.
I also add a picture of Billy Bragg.  (This for my sister Sue in Wales and for Jill in Bridport who both go weak at the knees at the mere mention of him). 

1 comment:

Moonroot said...

Swoon!!!