Thursday, February 12, 2009

Oakfield Primary, Totton

Skandia Life! Skandia Life! I was just testing to see whether Paul Stewart's filter is working properly in his office. I used to drive this way every day to Skandia and back. I did it for just short of five years. I must have been mad. Today was an afternoon down at Oakfield Primary School in Totton on the western edge of Southampton. I arrived and was warmly welcomed by all the teachers, some of whom had dressed in some fantastic outfits. They had set up the main hall for a banquet and the children tucked into their food while I did my "Six Wives..." turn for them. After a quick break, the children then did a fine Tudor dance for me, after which we had a rousing jousting tournament. Some fine skills were on show, but it was the gents who galloped away in the main final to win. It was a lovely school and some of the children's costumes were brilliant.
I drove home and got back feeling extremely tired, when I suddenly remembered I had agreed to go over to Barrington to see their village pantomime this evening. It was mainly as my mate Matthew Applegate's wife Sue was starring as Dick Whittington in the pantomime of the same name. I arrived to find the car park at the village hall packed out. I went inside and was soon joined by Rachel, Matthew's assistant at Barrington Court. It turned out Matthew wasn't appearing that evening as he had to baby sit his youngest. The play was great rollicking fun. Amateur in the extreme, fluffed lines, late cues, curtains closing at the wrong time, props not working and some wooden acting - and all the better for it. I loved it. I laughed myself hoarse. Sue Applegate was marvellous as she could sing, dance and act, plus she has a damn fine pair of legs on her and looked very nice in fishnets - well, better than Matthew looks anyway. As with all parochial events like this they had the inevitable raffle with a couple of nice looking bottles of wine and other prizes, so I bought a few tickets. And guess what I won??? Yup, you got it - a Doris Day CD. I was thrilled.
Wiveliscombe tomorrow!

1 comment:

Moonroot said...

Don't even think about giving me the CD for my birthday!!!