Sunday, May 28, 2006

Martock and Sudeley Castle

I picked up my new car. Well, I should really qualify that statement. It was NEW to me. A lovely Honda Accord, on an M plate, but with a full Honda service history and in great nick. That would do Henry a treat. It's baptism was not one of fire. The first appearance for this lovely vehicle was to be at Martock Primary School, quite naturally in the village/town of Martock. This was only about 10 miles from where we lived, so the car did have a really cushy start to it's existance with me. We had a great time at Martock School. Some lovely teachers, who threw in amples of lovely cups of tea and some free sarnies (no complaints from this King, I can tell you!), was matched with some terrific children. Great questions, lots of laughs and plenty of good knowledge displayed by the children. The afternoon ended with the almost inevitable ladies triumph in the jousting competition.
Saturday was spent at home, once again fruitlessly waiting for a buyer from Ebay to turn up for my old Toyota Lucida. What happens to them? Do they just suddenly slip into a parallel universe where saying you will quite happily buy something, and then just don't bother turning up and paying for it are just normal everyday goings on? Please don't tell me I am going to have to sell it AGAIN???
Sunday, today. Sudeley Castle in Gloucestershire. This was another of the "Barrington Court" days - just simply wandering around the grounds and buildings of this wonderful Tudor pile, and chatting to the public as they come in. It was a lovely day, not too hot, and there were lots of really lovely people to meet, including Bruce and his wife and friends from Sydney in Australia, who were a real laugh - great fun to talk to. Lots of lovely kids to chat with, a lovely lady from Reading who seemed hugely embarrassed that I spoke to her and a bizarre couple from a mixture of Kiev in the Ukraine and Didcot... Sudeley is of course also the resting place of Henry's last wife, Catherine Parr, so it was quite humbling to be in the presence of her tomb. A fine day seemed to be had by all and everyone at the Castle seemed happy with my appearance. All I had to worry about then was the 100+ mile drive home. I will sleep well tonight. Thank goodness it is half term!

No comments: