Monday, January 30, 2006

Beauherne School, Canterbury

Sunday morning I had to drive over to Kent for another meeting with Darlene, the events co-ordinator at Leeds Castle where I am going to be "in residence" over half term. We discussed several things, including where I would be doing my Henry presentations. She also asked me if I would like to be the narrator at the Children's Prom concert at the Castle in June. This will be with full orchestra and with about 6,000 people watching. Let me think about this... YES! I would love to do it. After all that excitement I then drove to my sister's near Sittingbourne to stay the night before my gig in Canterbury. We had a nice evening, drank some wine, ate a delicious lasagne and watched some of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. By 9.30pm I was finished and headed for bed.
I got up at 6am and got ready and then headed down to Canterbury and my appointment at Beauherne School. I knew that this place had just come off "special measures" and wasn't really quite sure what to expect. What I got was a fabulously warm welcome from the teachers, especially Emma and Mrs Morrish, and a brilliant day with some fabulously intelligent, sparky and groovy kids! They really enjoyed themselves, almost as much as I enjoyed myself. The jousting at the end was of a particularly high standard and for a nice change it was the boys who just pipped the girls in the final. I then began my long weary way home, and finally arrived back in sunny Somerset at about 6.30pm.
Tomorrow I have a meeting with Mary from the County Museum in Taunton, and I shall be bringing Tris from Bilby's along with me to discuss our possible involvement in a Tudor cookery exhibition of skillets and cauldrons. Watch this space...

No comments: