Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Oakleigh House School, Swansea

This was a first for me! My first school in Wales! I had made appearances in the Principality before, but at WI groups and the like, never before with a school.
I had driven to Carmarthen the night before to stay with my lovely sister at her small holding in Esgair to the north of the town. To thank her for her hospitality I took her out to dinner. We went to a lovely little Chinese restaurant in the middle of Carmarthen and it was delicious!
The following morning my sister got up as early as I did and even made me breakfast - you can't ask for better service than that! The drive to Swansea was remarkably easy, especially after doom-ladened warnings from my sister and her husband about how heavy the traffic can be at that time of the morning. The school was very small and tucked away in the genteel western side of Swansea. The teachers were lovely and very friendly. The children were very excitable and challenging, but they made the day all the more fun with their sparky natures.
After a filling lunch we all headed back to the hall for the afternoon's activities. The jousting was incredibly loud and the gentlemen won for once, but only just! I packed up my stuff and was on my way. Despite a bit of a hold up on the southbound M5 I was soon home with my lovely family.
Today has been mostly a day of leisure, but tomorrow I am off to Chandler's Ford near Southampton for a third visit to Knightwood School. I am really looking forward to it!

No comments: