Sunday, October 30, 2005

Meanwhile, over at the Taunton place...

Another fine day at Taunton Castle today. I arrived just after 9am and, having left all my gear there overnight, there was no need for me to have to set everything up again. I nipped up to my luxury changing room, which looked suspiciously like an old meeting room, and threw on my Henry gear. The first group in were a little disappointing in numbers, only about 10. But they more than made up for it in enthusiasm. We had a good time. Now, whereas yesterday when I finished my first group there was a veritable chorus line of people storming the doors to come in for the next sitting, today there was hardly anyone. Eventually I was left with one family, of a mum and dad and a young daughter. It was just too few to be going on with. I sat and talked to them and explained it would be difficult for me to do the presentation to such a small group, and suggested that maybe they would like to come back for the 2pm show when, hopefully, there would be a load more people. Therefore, I was stuck with a 2 hour lunch break in Taunton, something I used to dream about when I worked at Debenhams. I had a wander round, checked the charity shops, as is my habit and then got a newspaper. I strolled up to Loafers again and got myself a roll and was delighted to see that they sold tiffin! I haven't had tiffin in years - it was delicious! I got back to my luxury meeting room and put my feet up, eat heartily and read the paper, pausing only to glower at the Giles Coren page in the magazine. Thank God there is no such thing as nepotism in the British media...
I was alerted by one of the workers in the castle shop that there was a large group gathering at about twenty to two. I got back into my robes and headed down the stairs. At first I was a little worried as, again, there didn't appear to be that many people around. I was wrong. It was a massive group, barely room to fit them into the small area in the front of the Grand Hall. They were a fabulous group as well, and I was delighted to see that the family I disappointed at 11.30 had come back. We had a great time, lots of laughs, lots of questions and yet more children from my visit to Milverton last year. Good to see them again. We finished with another great jousting bout and I ended with loud applause ringing in my ears. Everyone was lovely. A load more of my leaflets were taken away to various schools and another sheaf of feedback letters from the audience were all favourable. I packed everything away, had a nice refreshing cuppa with the front of house staff and a chat about what possible future appearances Henry could make at the County Museum. It all looks very favourable.
The drive home wasn't half as bad as yesterday, but it was home to an empty house. Amanda and James have nipped up to Essex for a few days to visit the relatives. I miss them both dreadfully, but it will be nice to have a real lie-in in the morning! The evening joy was completed with a nice home made curry, a bottle of red wine and the news that Manchester United had been thumped 4-1 by Middlesborough. Now that is what I call a good day. Right, whats on the telly....? Night night folks.

No comments: